segunda-feira, abril 23, 2012

Robert John Godfrey - A Very Circular Story - By The Enid

Peter

In 1966 I became friends with Peter Roberts, one of the most extraordinary people of my own generation I ever had the pleasure to meet. He was a charismatic actor with an amazing theatrical voice. Although I knew he was a little mad, nevertheless I thought he would end up having a great career on the stage. In early 1974 I asked him if he would like to be part of a music project I was planning to put together with a group of slightly younger guys from my former "educational establishment".

He was due to join The Enid in Maidstone in January 1975. However, during his Christmas in Brighton where he was "doing a panto", something went terribly wrong. Peter blew a fuse and on New Year's Eve he returned to his flat in London and killed himself. I have never found out why.
Peter Roberts was irreplaceable in my scheme of things and after a sad pause; the band re-jigged its collective creative mind and transformed itself into a purely instrumental project.

Joe

Nearly forty years later another young man has walked into our lives. Like Peter, Joe Payne has a theatrical background and an amazing voice. As my story with The Enid begins to come to a close, a new incarnation of the band is in the ascendant. For me this is a truly transformational
"Shiva" moment. It is a compelling example of the way that life is interconnected through all of space and time, thus giving shape and meaning to the life I have now largely lived.

A Unique And Powerful Joy

I ask you all to welcome Joe Payne into The Enid family with open hearts and give him all your encouragement and love. He and his young tribe of gifted musicians will bring you, and those who follow onwards, a unique and powerful joy.

Lots of love is coming your way, for sure.

--
Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal - E-Zine