System 7 featuring Steve Hillage (Guitar, Programming)
and Miquette Giraudy (Synthesiser)
UK dates include Manchester Ritz (Friday 7 March) and London o2 Shepherd's Bush Empire (Saturday 8 March). Tickets are available Wednesday 29 May via Music Glue. Fans will receive a free mp3 download of the 5-track Hinotori EP when they order tickets.
The Hinotori EP will also be available as a digital download on Monday 3 June from from iTunes and Bandcamp. A limited edition collectors' CD of the EP is available from www.planetgong.co.uk.
ROVO are a Japanese progressive rock/jam band featuring two drummers, bass and keyboards, led by guitarist Seichi Yamamoto and electric violinist Yuji Katsui. SYSTEM 7 is the dance music project of Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy, presenting a unique combination of tech-house beats and live playing, who have had a strong influence on the development of psychedelic ambient and electronica.
The PHOENIX RISING concert will highlight a sophisticated blend of electronic beats and live instrumentation, made possible by the skilled musicianship of eight players, including two live drummers. Hillage fans can be assured that, in the format of PHOENIX RISING, his masterful electric guitar style will be fully unleashed, with extensive soloing and duets with the electric violin of Rovo's Yuji Katsui.
1. Hinotori (Album Version) - A reworking of the brilliant Rovo live rock adaptation of System 7's "Hinotori", fully based on the live band with soaring guitar and violin solos.
2. Love for the Phoenix - A techno tour de force loosely based on the classic System 7 track "Habibi" from the first System 7 album (1991) but made with a completely new beat and overlayed with live playing and violin. A powerful emotion is employed that evokes the suffering and spirit of rebirth in Japan's recent national tragedy, and the heart-based symbolism of the Phoenix.
3. Meeting of the Spirits - A simplified cover version of the iconic Mahavishnu Orchestra track, showcasing the fantastic blend of lead guitar and electric violin, and also displaying the extraordinary beats of the two Rovo drummers.
4. Cisco (Phoenix Rising) - An epic live Rovo track in the "Krautrock" spirit of Can and Neu, with one of the trippiest tempo changes of all time, and featuring an intricate middle section composed by Steve Hillage.
5. Unbroken - An electro/breakbeat track composed by System 7 that starts completely programmed and switches to completely live playing around the same theme, with another Mahavishnu-style guitar and electric violin melody
6. Sino Dub (Phoenix Rising) - Another live Rovo track combined for Phoenix Rising with a techno trance programmed beat in typical System 7 style.
7. Unseen Onsen - A floating ambient track with lush live playing, composed by Miquette Giraudy in the Mirror System style.
Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal - E-Zine